Thursday, June 16, 2011

#FoodHoliday National Fudge Day

Today being National Fudge Day, I figured I would share a recipe that 3 things; easy to make, not the slightest bit healthy and so damn delicious no one will be able to put the finalized product down. 
Classic Chocolate Walnut Fudge is something my Grandmother taught me to make when I was child and we would make it every year around the Holidays.
It stuck with me, my entire life and as I got older I realized it was those moments, spending time in the kitchen with my elders that really turned me into the individual I became today.

Often times Parents and Grandparents have little to no time to teach their children these kinds of classic recipes, resulting in the loss of tradition and more importantly the loss of bonding that can be achieved.
I’m not going to get all sentimental on you, cause that isn’t how we get down over here, but take a moment and reflect on what kinds of things stuck with you, your entire life. I am sure a few of those memories came from spending time with your older loved ones.

Nine times out of ten people are scared to make Fudge or things of that nature because they fear they might eat it all or the science of boiling sugar to the correct stage mystifies them. With everyone being so self conscious about how they look, these kinds of classic desserts have had to take a back seat to healthier, lighter treats. Well forget your diet today, make some Fudge, spend some time with your loved ones and maybe even make a care package for your Grandparents, I am sure they will love it.
Enjoy!


Ingredients:
3 Cups                        Sugar
¾ Cup (1.5 sticks)  Butter
1 Small Can (5 oz.) Evaporated Milk (Do Not Use Sweetened Condensed Milk)
12 Oz.                          Milk Chocolate Chips
1 ½ Cups                    Jet Puffed Marshmallow Crème
1 Cup                           Chopped Walnuts
1 tsp                             Vanilla

Directions:
Line a 9 inch square pan with foil

Place sugar, butter and evaporated milk in a large heavy saucepan
Bring ingredients in saucepan to a full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly
Boil 4-5 minutes or until a candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees (F) still stirring constantly to prevent scorching, remove from heat

Add chocolate & marshmallow crème, stirring until completely melted
Add walnuts and vanilla, mix well to incorporate

Pour IMMEDIATLEY into prepared pan, spread to form an even layer in pan (should do so on its own if your working fast enough)
Let stand at room temperature 4 hrs, or until completely cooled.
Slice into 1-inch squares & store in a air tight container at room temperature.

                                    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter